05 June 2008

Riches

Has not God chosen those who are poor in the eyes of the world to be rich in faith, and to inherit the kingdom he promised to those who love him?
—James 2:5 NIV
I happened upon a story today that reminded me of the real reason I am embarking on this journey to a slum in Cairo. It's at the end of an article in Quest for Hope (page 230), not actually in my planned reading but rather on an opposite page where it caught my eye. There's no way I can convey how moving the story is without quoting the whole thing, but I'll summarize it as well as I can:

A small boy named Ernesto lived on the streets of Maputo, Mozambique, where he daily faced hunger, sickness, and the cruelty of bigger boys, who stole from him, beat him, and even raped him. A friend brought him to a children's center one day, where he heard about Jesus and asked him into his heart. Later something happened which I would rather quote than describe.
One day while he was praying he had a vivid vision. He told me that angels came and took him up to heaven. He said it was a beautiful place full of light. No one there was afraid. The angels took him to Jesus and as he sat on his lap Jesus told him to stay in the children's center where he would be safe. Jesus also told him to live a pure and holy life. He said he was coming back to earth very soon so Ernesto had to leave heaven and tell others about Jesus.
Soon thereafter a powerful government official visited the center, and after speaking asked if any children want to tell him anything. Ernesto responded immediately and began fearlessly telling the man the good news about Jesus, which the author describes as "one of the most powerfully anointed Gospel messages I have ever heard." This became a regular part of Ernesto's life as he came to love preaching on the streets even when threatened with prison.

When I read this awe and yearning welled up in me in a way that's hard to describe. Truly James was right, and God has bestowed great riches on those who are poor, weak, and downtrodden! I am so humbled when I compare this to myself and how highly I think of my own faith, while at the same time I deal with fear and weakness by trusting in earthly things. Am I not in this light spiritually pitiful and wretched, just like the Laodiceans in Revelation? I may have my salvation, but by no means do I have the riches of faith that this child has.

This is why I'm going: to get a glimpse, a taste of the riches that God has bestowed upon the least of this world. Not unlike the 1000 people who settle in Cairo every day, I have heard that there is wealth to be had in this city, and I want to go get some for myself. Unlike them, however, it's not a job or the city's material wealth that lures me, it is the riches of Christ's kingdom which are being prepared in the overcrowded dwellings and garbage-strewn streets of Mokattam. I'm not sure what to expect as I go, and I'm pretty sure it will involve stepping far out of my comfort zone, but I go trusting in God and eagerly anticipating what he will show me there.

No comments: