05 August 2008

Wow. It's over. But keep reading!

Here I am sitting in my bedroom in New York. After a few days of being home, my bedroom is about how I left it (cluttered). The rest of my family has had an enjoyable but relatively uneventful summer. It is tempting to think that I left just yesterday, and that the six weeks I spent away are just a blip in my schedule. That's not true, though.

Between June 17th and July 31st I heard talks and took part in discussions on the gospel, the poor, and what they mean to each other; I went places and did things that were outside of my comfort zone; and I met and befriended people whose entire lives and destinies are bound up in one neighborhood on the edge of Cairo. My view of the world has changed as I encountered theirs, and I don't want it to just change back. There are things that I have learned on this Trek that I want to carry with me my whole life.

Because of this, and because you, my readers, want to hear more about my summer, I am continuing this blog. I am sorry that I could not update it during the Trek, there just never was enough internet time. Beginning now, I am reading through my journal, and as I do so I will post to this blog with summaries of what happened and reflections on things that were important. I don't know when I will finish this, as I am simultaneously trying to get my things together and move out to Boulder, CO for grad school. There will be more details coming soon, though, so please stay tuned!

No comments: